Here at Lighthouse School Leeds we offer an exceptional, personalised education and learning for children with an autistic spectrum condition (ASC), or related communication disorder.
Our initial intake in September 2012 of up 10 pupils will grow over 5 years to a maximum of 50 young people, aged between 11 and 19 years old.
Abilities will range from moderate learning disability to high functioning and the curriculum will be tailored around each pupil’s needs. All students must have a diagnosis of ASC or related communication disorder and be within the stated age range.
During the academic year of 2012/13 (Year 1), all students require a statement of special educational needs (SEN) from their local authority. This may not be required for students wishing to attend Lighthouse in 2013/14 (Year 2) and beyond. We expect further clarification from the Department of Education in due course and this will be kept under review in light of emerging Government policy.
Our priorities for pupils attending Lighthouse School Leeds are:
- Personalised transition programme to help each new pupil settle in to Lighthouse
- Pupils taught in groups which match their ability rather than their age (N.B. there will be no more than a 2 year age gap for pupils within each group)
- Flexible teaching which responds to the needs of each pupil within a class
- 5 year groups within the school
- A teacher, senior tutor and 4 tutors assigned to each year group
- Each class divided into 2 learning group